Frequently Asked Questions

General Requirements

  • Age 21 or older
  • May be married or single
  • Physician’s statement verifying emotional and physical health
  • Fingerprinting and criminal background check
  • Arizona Department of Economic Security home inspection
  • Fence around pool, if pool is on property
  • References
  • Economic stability

Support Services

  • Room and board reimbursement
  • Exceptional training
  • Support groups
  • Monthly in-home support
  • Medical and dental services for the children
  • Emergency support telephone numbers
  • Family fun events
  • Respite care for the children

Q: How do I begin the process?

A: You will need to attend a KIDS orientation and FSR’s Foster Parent Pre-Service Blended Training. Once you have completed your training and submitted all of your required paperwork, you will then be assigned a licensing worker who will conduct two to four visits to your home and gather paperwork, interview all household members, and help prepare you for the safety inspection of your home. All adult household members must pass criminal and CPS background checks, submit Physician Statements and be available for interviews.

Q: Does my spouse and/or partner need to attend the training also?

A: Yes, both the applicant and co applicant are mandated to attend all of the training.

Q: I have another non spouse/partner adult who resides in my home, can I still foster?

A: Yes, but the other adult household member must be fingerprinted, provide a physician’s statement report, and sign a criminal history declaration. If the other adult will be assisting in the care of the child, he/she may also be required to attend some of the Pre-Service Training classes.

Q: Can I become a foster parent if I am not a U.S. citizen?

A: Yes, as long as you can provide legal documentation of your residency in the U.S.

Q: Do I need to have a job?

A: Not necessarily, but you will need to be able to provide verification that your net monthly income exceeds your monthly expenses.

Q: I work full-time, can I foster parent?

A: Yes. You must simply show that you have a work schedule that coincides with the children placed in your home. A minimal amount of time in daycare is allowed for children 2 years of age and older.

Q: Do I need to own my own home?

A: No. As a foster parent, you will need to have a stable residence (i.e. apartment, rental home, condominium, town-home, etc.) that will be able to pass a Home safety and health inspection.

Q: Will a foster child need their own room?

A: Most foster children may share a room with your own child of the same gender. They will need space for personal belongings and be provided their own bed.

Q: Is there financial compensation?

A: Yes. You will be provided financial compensation to cover the costs of caring for a foster child. Children with higher needs are eligible for higher reimbursement rates. This compensation is provided to cover expenses such as room and board, mileage, clothing, recreation, and allowance. Children in foster care have full medical coverage. Additionally, foster children may be eligible for other resources such as free school lunch, clothing allowance, or daycare expenses for working foster parents.

Q: Where do I begin?

A: Contact FSR and get signed up for the Orientation and FSR’s Foster Parent Pre-Service Blended Training.


For more information on valley-wide foster care and adoption orientation, please see the Kids Consortium web site